Council is seeking community feedback on its proposal to retain the annual allowances for the Mayor and Councillors, which are within the range set for a Category 1 Council. These allowances are as follows
- Mayoral Allowance - $62,884 plus 10% superannuation equivalent
- Councillor Allowance - $21,049 plus 10% superannuation equivalent
Council is pleased to present the proposed allowances for community feedback. Submissions are open until 12 noon on 23 June 2021.
About Councillor and Mayoral allowances
- Section 74 of the Local Government Act 1989 provides that a Council must review and determine the level of the Councillor and Mayoral allowances within the period of 6 months after a general election or by the next 30 June, whichever is later.
- Mayors and Councillors are entitled to receive an allowance while performing their duty as an elected official under section 39 of the Local Government Act 2020.
- The Victorian Government sets upper and lower limits for allowances paid to Councillors and Mayors. These allowances are set out under different categories for different councils.
- Councils are divided into three categories based on the income and population of each Council (Category 1, Category 2 and Category 3).
- Murrindindi Shire Council is classified as a ‘Category 1’ council.
Allowances for ‘Category 1’ councils
For Category 1 councils, the Minister for Local Government has approved Mayoral and Councillor allowances, effective 1 December 2019, of up to $21,049 for Councillors per annum and up to $62,884 for the Mayor per annum. An amount equivalent to the superannuation guarantee – currently 9.5% is an additional component added to the allowance. This is scheduled to increase to 10% from 1 July 2021.
How to have your say
Murrindindi Shire Council is providing the opportunity for written submissions on the proposed allowances in accordance with S223 of the Local Government Act 1989. Submissions close at 12 noon on 23 June 2021.
- Complete the form below
- Mailing your submission to (ensure you include your details and any supporting documents with your submission)
Chief Executive Officer
Murrindindi Shire Council
PO Box 138
Alexandra VIC 3714
Under section 223 of the Local Government Act 1989, a community member can make a submission to Council on Councillor Allowances. If you would like to speak to Council about your submission, can you do so, either in person or virtually, at a Scheduled Meeting of Council on 23 June, which is to be held at the Yea Council Chambers (subject to COVID-19 restrictions).